This easy to make plant-based sour cream is made with tofu – no cashews or nuts! It is so smooth, creamy, rich, and a great homemade vegan sour cream to use in recipes or on top of tacos!
This tofu sour cream is nut free, dairy free, and coconut free. It’s super easy to make in only 5 minutes and tastes way better than any store-bought brand. Made with only 5 simple ingredients, it’s quick and easy to mix together. Plus, it is oil free and low fat, making it perfect for those with nut allergies who are on a plant-based diet!
It’s the perfect topping to use on top of a baked potato, dollop on top of tacos, or use as a base for recipes like a creamy cucumber salad!
For the full list of ingredients plus amounts, please see the recipe card below.
- Silken Tofu: This is the main ingredient of this recipe. I’ve tried this recipe with all kinds of tofu and have found that the fresh, silken tofu from the refrigerator section makes for the best results for vegan sour cream. The firm tofu never blended smooth enough and always retained a bit of grittyness. The shelf-stable tofu always tasted a little “beany” to me and never got tangy enough.
- Lemon Juice: The lemon juice is what adds the tang to make the sour cream. Fresh is best, but I’ve used bottled lemon juice in a pinch.
- Salt: A fair amount of salt helps to transform this into sour cream.
- Onion Powder + Garlic Powder: It seems strange to add these ingredients since dairy sour cream doesn’t have these. But it helps to add a umami quality to the tofu and does make a difference.
- Vinegar (optional): I say this is an optional ingredient. I personally don’t like the vinegar in this as I find it too tangy, however, some of my recipe testers liked the extra kick the vinegar provides! So it’s optional and up to you and your personal tastes for how you like to make this. I recommend either apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar. White vinegar can be really powerful so use with caution.
For this recipe, I strongly suggest that you use a high-speed blender for the smoothest and creamiest sour cream. A food processor can also work, it just takes a few extra minutes to blend together, and requires a little more scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Make sure to check out the recipe card below for the full recipe and ingredient list.
Start by draining off any of the extra water in the silken tofu pack. Add it to the blender (or food processor) with the lemon juice, salt, onion, and garlic powder.
Next, blend until smooth and creamy. Use a spatula to push the tofu back into the blender and scrape the sides as needed. If you are using a thicker tofu, like a firm tofu, you may need to add a few splashes of plant based milk to help it all combine.
Transfer the sour cream to an airtight container and refrigerate for 30 minutes for the best taste, however, you can use this sour cream immediately! The best, creamy texture comes after resting in the fridge for a couple of hours.
FAQs about vegan sour cream
How to Store
Store tofu sour cream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days after making.
Unfortunately, you can’t freeze this recipe as freezing it changes the texture of the tofu. It’s best when made and enjoyed fresh.
More Dip Recipes
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you try these out, please leave a comment below! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, vegan friendly recipes you can subscribe to the newsletter. Did you make these? Please tag me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest! I love to see your creations!
- blender or food processor
- Mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 16 oz silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon vinegar optional
- Mix the sour cream. Place all ingredients into a food processor or high-speed blender and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until smooth and combined. Scrape the sides of the blender as needed to incorporate all ingredients. Taste for seasoning and adjust til it’s just right.
- Store and serve. Transfer the sour cream into an airtight container and store in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up. Serve immediately or for up to three days after making. Use as it or as the base for other recipes. Enjoy!
- How to Store
- Store tofu sour cream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days after making.
- Unfortunately, you can’t freeze this recipe as freezing it changes the texture of the tofu. It’s best when made and enjoyed fresh.