Jazz up your Taco Tuesday (or let’s be real, taco any day) meals with this quick and easy DIY taco seasoning! Made with simple ingredients, it comes together quickly to spice up your recipes and contains over 4 times the amount of seasoning in a packet of taco seasoning from the store! This homemade version is great for customizing for your preferred spice level.
Simple and delicious homemade taco seasoning mix to use in all your favorite recipes from tacos to chilis, burrito bowls, and more!
Why You’ll Love this Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- Super customizable! Fill with your favorite flavors in the amounts you like.
- Makes way more than seasoning packs you can purchase.
Here is a quick rundown of what you’ll need to make this taco seasoning mix. For the full breakdown of how much you’ll need, see the recipe box below and pop over to the variations on how you can customize it for your needs!
- Chili Powder: I like a medium amount of spice in this spice mixture, but you can increase or decrease the amount of chili powder to best suit your needs and taste buds.
- Paprika: Smoked or sweet paprika both work!
- Sugar: This helps to balance out the flavors, especially when added to a dish with tomatoes. You can use any kind including white sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, or date sugar.
- Cornstarch: This helps to thicken any sauce that this spice mix is added to. If you are avoiding cornstarch, see below for the best substitutions.
- You’ll Also Need: Cumin, Dried Oregano, Garlic and Onion Powder, Salt, Black Pepper
Want to make this a little spicier? Add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the mix. And of course, you can add more or less depending on your personal tastes.
Want to add a touch of cheese flavor? Add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to this spice blend.
Making this spice blend is super easy!
Make sure to check out the recipe card below for the full recipe and ingredient list.
Start by gathering all your spices. Add them to a medium sized mixing bowl and using a whisk, thoroughly stir them together. I like to use a whisk to help break up the spices and really blend them together.
Transfer this into an airtight container or spice jar and it’s ready to use right away! That’s it!
- When making up a huge batch of this seasoning mix, make sure to purchase all your herbs and spices at the same time to use in this blend. That way you know they are all equally fresh and you won’t have one spice going bad ahead of the others.
- This can be part of a great gift! Combine with other homemade spice blends like pumpkin pie spice, chai spice, or a savory herb seasoning blend to give as a gift to anyone who loves to cook and bake.
A typical taco seasoning pack you can buy holds about 2 tablespoons of spice mix. This recipe makes 7 tablespoons, which is a little under 4 packs of the kind you purchase at the grocery store! You can easily make a double or triple batch of this so you always have some spices on hand to make taco night a little quicker and easier.
How to Store
Store any leftover taco spice blend in an airtight container or spice jar. Keep it in a cool dark location and it should last you up to a year!
To ensure you have the best spice mix, make sure to purchase all the individual spices at the same time. That way they are all fresh together and should make the seasoning mix last the longest. Then you never have to wonder if one spice is going bad ahead of the rest.
What to make with this Taco Mix
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest! I added this one to my cakes and cupcakes board. 🙂
If you try these out, please leave a comment below! This provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. And if you want more delicious, vegan friendly recipes you can subscribe to the newsletter. Did you make these? Please tag me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest! I love to see your creations!
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Storage container
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar can swap for coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch can swap for arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- Mix and store. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients. Whisk together until fully blended. Transfer into a storage jar and use as needed for up to 1 year. Enjoy!
- Want to make this a little spicier? Add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the mix. And of course, you can add more or less depending on your personal tastes.
- Want to add a touch of cheese flavor? Add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to this spice blend.